Fall is fast approaching and with back-to-school on the horizon, people are gearing up for sweater weather, football season, apple-picking, pumpkin patches and all things fall. We’ve put together a little list of ways to make the most of your fall in the Fox Cities!
1. Farm Markets – Many of our area farm markets run through October, with downtown Appleton switching to an indoor market in November. It’s the perfect time to check out new fall crafts, fresh in-season produce and enjoy the tastes of fall! Click here to see a full list of farm markets in our area.
2. Kayak the Fox River with the Appleton Locks Paddle event! A scenic course with a little bit of history as you paddle through four of the Fox River locks. Held on Saturday, September 24. Click here for more.
3. Pick some apples, find a pumpkin or get lost in a corn maze! The Fox Cities is home to plenty of orchards to choose from so get out and get picking and try your luck through a corn maze! Check out any of the orchards listed below for a great way to spend a fall day!
4. Mulberry Lane Farm starts their Pumpkin Harvest Celebration mid-September and runs through October. Visit the farm anytime during that time and pick a FREE pumpkin, and while you’re there take some time to ride a pony, play with a pig, pet a goat, take a hayride and have some fun of the farm! Click here for details.
5. License to Cruise and Octoberfest will make Downtown Appleton the place to be on September 23 & 24. The festival kicks off Friday night with License to Cruise, where hundreds of classic cars line up and down College Avenue. The fun continues on Saturday and brings thousands to the area to enjoy live music, great food and plenty of fun! Click here for details.
6. Enjoy the fall colors at High Cliff State Park. With trails for any skill level, you can take a leisurely walk or hike a more challenging trail and enjoy the views of Lake Winnebago or visit the old Lime Kiln Ruins. Best time for peak fall colors is late September to mid-October.
7. Head to Greenville Lions Park on October 2 for the 42nd Annual Greenville Fall Craft Fair! You’ll find everything from homemade crafts and bakery to fresh produce and food. Click here for more.
8. Spend the afternoon in Downtown Appleton on Saturday October 15 for their annual Soup Walk! Stop at participating downtown restaurants to taste their soups and vote for your favorite! Tickets go on sale October 1; quantities limited so don’t wait!
9. Head out to Gordon Bubolz Nature Preserve October 22 for the Romp in the Autumn Swamp! Celebrate the season with a hay-ride, trick-or-treat trail, Halloween games, and more! Click here for details.
10. Get your spooky on with these family friendly Halloween events!
- Halloween Campground Walk at High Cliff State Park on October 22 for trick-or-treating throughout the parks campground! Open to the public but vehicle admission is required.
- Neenah’s Farm Market Boo Fest! – Neenah’s last farm market will be hauntingly fun! With a costume contest, trick-or-treating, and activities for the whole family, it will be a Boo-tastic event you won’t want to miss!
- YMCA Freeky 5k – The run/walk event where costumes are encouraged! Enter to win the costume contest, all participants receive a halloween goodie bag. Register by October 18.
- Creepy Crawlies Halloween at Heckrodt Wetland Reserve, October 7 & 8. Enjoy hayrides, kids crafts, live owl interactions and haunted trail! Fun for kids of all ages!
- Haunted Hearthstone: Take a tour through the Hearthstone Historic House Museum and explore the Victorian customs of death, the supernatural, and mysticism. Tours will be every Friday night through October from 6-8pm. On October 28 they will have an extended haunted tour from 8:30-10:30pm where you’ll get a glimpse of Hearthstone’s ghostly past.