Posted by: Kelly Ann Hekler, Convention Sales Manager
As some of you might know, I am from Michigan. I don’t think that my family would allow me to visit if I didn’t bring a local treat!
One of my favorite things about the Fox Cities is the variety of local food products. Here are some of my favorites:
- VandeWalle’s Candies- Their caramels are amazing! They also offer a variety of cookies, cakes, and homemade ice cream. My favorite is the milk chocolate covered sea salt caramels.
- Wilmar’s Chocolates- Three words: Cherry Pie Bar. You’re welcome!
- Mike’s Popcorn- Who can resist a caramel/cheese corn mix or their popcorn balls? Not me!
- Simon’s Cheese- Wisconsin parties aren’t complete without a variety of cheese and Simon’s offers just that!
- Kerrigan Brothers Winery- The dinner table isn’t complete without locally produced cherry wine!
- Arty’s Old Fashioned- Being a Michigan girl, I had never heard of old fashioneds (crazy, I know). Arty’s makes these Wisconsin drinks already premixed, just add ice and a garnish!
- Stone Cellar Brew Pub- They have many varieties of beer and even root beer for the little ones.
- Victor Allen- Are you a coffee lover? Although the beans aren’t grown here, Victor Allen processes and flavors your favorite drink. Try the hazelnut.
- Dalla Terra Pasta- Being a vegetarian, I know good pasta! Try the mushroom sage or the tomato basil.
- Carmella’s- Finish your local pasta with Carmella’s famous sauce.
Doesn’t that sounds like a lot of amazing, locally made products? To be honest, I haven’t even scratched the surface. I’d recommend checking out Simon’s Cheese in Little Chute or the downtown Appleton Farmers Market. Most of these products can be found in one of those two locations. If there is a certain product that you’re looking for, please feel free to contact the CVB and we will direct you to the right place. Also, if you have another favorite that wasn’t mentioned, feel free to contact us. As a CVB, we shop local when we can.
Most people don’t realize how lucky they are to have these local businesses. It’s really important to support them, especially during the holidays. A box of Wilmar’s chocolates and bottle of Kerrigan Brothers Wine will go a lot further than anything you’d pick up from the grocery store. Show off your Fox Cities!
I hope that my stocking will be stuffed with local products and I hope yours will as well! Happy Holidays!